Calling All to Celebrate with Strawberry Ice Cream

10 Jan

And you would ask what is the reason that calls for such an announcement?  Well, I am about to get published for the very first time. I am over the moon at this thought and I cannot but help rave about it on my blog. And ofcourse, celebrating it with some yummy, oh-so-baby-pink Strawberry Ice Cream. I have been writing movie reviews for a National Daily – The Daily Tribune,  here in Bahrain which I may not have mentioned before on my blog. My movie reviews appear every Friday in their weekend edition. But having my work printed in a book along with other wonderful writers is something I have been looking forward to for months.

In February 2010, I had the opportunity to join a Writer’s Circle here in Bahrain and it has been a great experience meeting and exchanging ideas with plenty of talented writers on the island. As a part of this fabulous group, I also got to attend creative writing workshops which in my opinion have really helped me break  the mould and set my thoughts free. As a part of this group, I was given the opportunity to contribute towards compiling a beautiful book about Bahrain, in lieu of the political tension that has tarnished this island’s image.  The administrator of our group, Robin Barratt explained to us what this book is going to be about in few words.

My Beautiful Bahrain : A collection of short stories about life and living in The Kingdom of Bahrain. With lots of fascinating personal ‘life’ stories, quite a few tourist-type information and fact based contributions, some wonderful poetry, an occasional piece of fiction (set on the island) and a mixture of other diverse and captivating prose, with fifty contributions from forty writers from fifteen countries (almost 300 pages), My Beautiful Bahrain is both varied and unique, and an undeniably indispensable guide for travellers and visitors to the island, as well as a ‘must-read’ book for people living here, doing business here, or just interested in what life is like living on this tiny, tiny island in the Arabian Gulf. The aims and goals of this book are to show the world that; firstly, there are a great many terrific and talented writers on the island that most definitely should be read and heard and secondly, for most people here, Bahrain is a wonderful place to live! “

So in my tryst to prove that I am serious food blogger I took up the onus of contributing an article about the food (both traditional and modern) of Bahrain. I convinced my friend Namit to help me capture the food – culture of Bahrain through beautiful photographs. That is how we managed to come about with an article of about 3000 plus words - Bahrain: A Culinary Oasis. Now that dream of seeing our work in print would come true in a month or so. I say so because the beautiful cover page of the book is out. ( Pardon me if  I sound like a lovelorn teenage, giddy with excitement)

The beautiful cover was painted by the island’s own Ella Prakash, a painter extraordinaire.

I had to celebrate this occasion with something special and I couldn’t think beyond the simple, sweet, rich and creamy Strawberry Ice cream adapted from my friend La’s blog. La and I have been following each other’s blog for sometime now. In fact she was the one who helped me proof read my article in a professional way. I cannot thank her enough for picking on the silly usages, the redundant sentences and grammar. She proof read it for me countless times as I prepared one draft after the other. There is no other way to thank her enough but by making something wonderful from her lovely blog. Thanks so much La. <3

The Recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream

Yield: 1.5 litres
Serves: 12-15
Preparation time: Under 30 minutes
Setting time: 4 hours
adapted from foodslice
Ingredients
3 cups fresh strawberries + some more for pulp
3 cups fresh cream ( I used full cream)
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons strawberry essence
Preparation
1. Wash, hull and chop the strawberries.
2. Blend milk and sugar quickly. Add the vanilla essence. Now add the cream and whisk it again until smooth and creamy for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the strawberries and mix into the cream in the blender. You will get a creamy mixture in dreamy pink.
4. Transfer to a freezer safe bowl and keep it in the freezer for 3-4 hours. Before it freezes completely, take it out and blend again to get a creamier texture to the ice cream.
5. I repeated this process  four times and got  a softer creamier texture to my  ice cream without any ice crystals at all.
6. After the last round of pulsing, I blended some fresh strawberries into a coarse pulp and added to the mixture between returning it back into the freezer.
I was most happy with the results and would try the same recipe with other favourite flavours like Mango, chocolate and peach too. The ice cream was rich and creamy without being overtly sweet. The addition of strawberry pulp provided the a delightful tone to the ice cream. Scoopfuls have been disappearing since I made it as ice cream is my daughter’s favourite dessert these days.
I hope to share the good news of the book coming out on the stands in a month and a half or so. I want to thank my husband, my family and all the friends who provided me plenty of encouragement and helped me research the food and culture of this glorious Kingdom. It has been an enchanting journey indeed.

52 Responses to “Calling All to Celebrate with Strawberry Ice Cream”

1. Bikram January 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

THank you for Calling all..

well here I AM .. so wheres the icecream then haaan :) he he he

yummmyyliscious

• Kamikaze January 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

You know I could see Bikram Paji’s face when he wrote this comment! And I have the same expressions now :) Heartiest Congrats! You are one diligent writer……hats off :)

• Anita Menon January 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

:-) Aap Bahrain aao Bikramji. tab hi to khane milega..

• Anita Menon January 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Ruchi.. thanks so much.

2. Prateek January 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Whoa! I can drop anytime uninvited for this.
    I shall try the recipe soon.

• Anita Menon January 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

please do Prateek. It cannot get easier than this.

3. Gayathri January 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

I was lucky to taste this yummilicious ice cream and what a wonderful way to celebrate….Wow, Anita, way to go…Hope to see your own book(s) soon…

4. Buls January 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Wow… this is great. Congrats. Do type out the short story once the book is out…. kudos…

• Anita Menon January 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

yes… I will. Its a feature on the food traditions of Bahrain. Thanks so much Bulbul

5. Deboshree January 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

Wow! This is the 2nd book news I have heard today. It seems all my favourite bloggers are getting published. I am really happy for you and looking forward to the book. All the very best and congratulations! :D

6. La @ FoodSlice January 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Anita, This is the first time anyone has made anything from my blog and linked back. I am over the moon too. Thank you so much for the mention and i am honoured to have been able to be a tiny part of your success. It truly gives me immense joy to see you getting published. Kind of gives hope for us relatively newer bloggers, its really inspiring. May this be the first of many more book publications! Good luck.

• Anita Menon January 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

Thank you La for all your support and encouragement through out the whole writing process.

7. Abhilasha Venkatesh January 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Congrats !! Really HAPPY !! for you :)

8. BeingMama January 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

Congratulations!

• Anita Menon January 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

thank you Kat. thanks for visiting my blog.

9. Ankur January 11, 2012 at 6:21 am #

Congrats dear….. This is just awesome…. :) My best for you always

10. sangeetakhanna January 11, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Congratulations Anita !!!
    It’s a time to bask in a glory of sunshine….Lovely post and the ice cream sure is yummy but the cherry lies on the writer’s cake :-)

11. Suman Khajuria January 11, 2012 at 9:32 am #

Congratulations girl!

12. Devina Divecha January 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Congrats! I totally understand how you feel – I still get giddy with excitement when I see my name in print with the magazines I write for. It never gets old…trust me.

13. yummychunklet January 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Woo-hoo! What a great way to celebrate my favorite ice cream flavor. Delicious post!

• Anita Menon January 12, 2012 at 7:37 am #

It is sure becoming my favourite flavour too. Thanks.

14. Marie January 11, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

Congratulations a million times over!!!!! Such wonderful news. The ice cream looks divine. Strawberries are not quite in season here but yours look wonderful!

15. Meghna January 11, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

Yummilicious!!!!! My god…. this looks delicious!!!! I wish you were my neighbour ;-)

• Anita Menon January 12, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Meghna,.. where have you been. Good to see you. Thanks..

16. torviewtoronto January 11, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

delicious looking ice cream looks wonderful

17. Cassandra @foodmyfriend January 12, 2012 at 4:40 am #

Congratulations Anita! Your ice cream looks to die for. Very pretty in pink :)

18. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 12, 2012 at 11:05 am #

Congrats on being published! That’s fantastic news and ice cream is always a great way to celebrate.

19. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb January 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

First of all, I wish u a belated happy new year and lots of success and good health. secondly, Congrats to your publication. way to go girl! =) I am in for the Strawberry Ice cream =D

20. Ameena January 12, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Congratulations on being published! I am so excited for you. This is so well deserved – your writing is spectacular and your cooking? Phenomenal.

The ice cream looks delicious. :)

21. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com January 13, 2012 at 1:14 am #

Congratulations on being published!! So well deserving :)

It’s strawberry season now in Florida — perfect excuse to indulge in buckets of ice creams and likewise ;)

22. Keerthana January 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Congragulations Anita! That’s such a great news, wish you all the best for the new venture :-)

23. Kate @ FoodBabbles January 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Congratulations Anita!! So happy for you. What an accomplishment!

24. betty January 14, 2012 at 7:18 am #

lovely pictures! the ice cream sounds really good and so creamy

25. Simply Fahad-istic! (@PharaohKhan) January 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

You know,Ice-cream is one of my favorite things in the world!
    One of the reasons,is because it always takes us back to happy times.Whether it is dad buying a popsicle post dinner,or the neighborhood kulfi wallah ringing the bell,ice-cream means bliss,sweetness and happy memories!:-)
    Thank you for sharing,Anita!:-)

26. Plateful January 16, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

So thrilled for you, Anu! Congrats on getting published, I hope to see your work soon. And what better way to celebrate than with ice-cream! As these pics got published in FG & TS, it’s double congrats!!

27. Rosa May (@RosasYummyYums) January 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

A divine looking ice cream! Congrats on getting published! That is really great.

Cheers,

Rosa

28. Audrey January 18, 2012 at 6:03 am #

A huge congratulations. Your enthusiasm comes through so clearly in your post. I’m very happy for you.

29. emaginesol January 20, 2012 at 11:34 am #

I am surfing in the net and found your blog so interesting..I am looking forwards for more updates.More Power!..

30. Gayathri Ramdas Sreekanth January 20, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

Oh Anita !! This is brilliant stuff…Truly deserving..I have extremely tardy last few days..Hope u pardon me and do let me know when this book gets out, will surely want a copy having stayed in this beautiful island for the major part of my life..

31. Muneera Mohammed Ali February 13, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Dear Anita, I’ve been following your blog and can’t seem to stop. It’s so interesting. We’ve met once at the BWC’s November meeting. My name is Muneera and you told me about your blog. I’m from Kerala too and a new member of the BWC. Like you, I’m a stay at home mom and haven’t got much of a social life. I didn’t know there were homeschooling groups in Bahrain! It sounds like fun! My children attend the ISB. And your cooking sounds like lots of fun, too. I guess you are at your brother’s wedding now but I do hope we can meet at the next BWC meeting. And congrats upon the publishing of your article. Robin showed us the book’s cover. Great work!

32. my site May 20, 2013 at 4:35 am #

I have been browsing on-line more than three hours these days, yet I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is beautiful price enough for me. Personally, if
    all website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the internet will probably be a lot more helpful
    than ever before.

1. Extraordin-berry Desserts for National Strawberry Day | Yummly - February 27, 2012

[...] Strawberry Ice Cream (from Slice of my Lyfe) [...]