23 Mar

Quite a title!

But it was only fair to include every ingredient that made this cheesecake so special. It was my friend, Namit’s birthday a few days ago. He is practically family after 2 years of our friendship. On his birthday, I invited him to come home and have dinner of dum aloo, boondi raita  and parathas with us. Knowing Namit, who likes everything to be very simple; no fanfare, no loud celebrations for him. I have also realized that he likes subtle flavours so I thought cheesecake may fit the bill perfectly.

Making this no- bake version of  a cheesecake is what I prefer when I am short of time but want to impress too. I referred plenty of cheesecake recipes and couldn’t put my finger on any one of them so I combined two or three of them and came up with an amalgamated version. It was really exciting to put it altogether, praying fervently that it should set and not fall apart when I try to loosen the springform pan around the sides.

This Cheese cake is special because it has the deep, satisfying flavours of the cinnamon infused oranges that take it to the next level. The fresh golden orange slices bubble and sizzle in a sugary syrup with cinnamon to bring out the exotic in them. The flavours are subtle but vibrant in parts. That makes this cake a class apart. Whenever I have someone coming home for dinner etc, I like to prepare a bit in advance so that I don’t feel harried in the end. Bits and pieces add up in the end to make a spectacular event.

All this talk about preparation makes me recall my experience on the first day at work. As I had mentioned in my previous post about having joined work, I felt underwhelmed by my lack of confidence on the first day at work. I felt my nerves giving away every time I had to pick up the phone to talk to people. I stressed and prayed for the day to end quickly. It wasn’t the most memorable experience. The same evening I had my writers’ circle meeting to attend. I met my dear friend Pooja, ( also a member of the writers’ circle) after work and we took off to attend the meeting. By some divine design, the session was about how to feel confident and excel at public speaking. Mr. Mohamed Isa – A distinguished Toastmasters speaker and a speaking coach gave us a wonderful insight into how one can excel in their personal and professional life by being able to speak confidently.

It was so apt for me and I thanked my stars as the session was most useful. He shared his ideas through plenty of funny anecdotes from his life that had his audience in splits. He emphasized on BEING PREPARED and GAUGING THE AUDIENCE for an effective and confident performance. All my life, I have never underestimated the importance of being prepared.  Be it exams or some presentation at work, I have always prepared well. His session only reiterated what I had known all along. It was time to get the focus back and take things in my control at work. I made mental notes for the next day and surprisingly enough I was able to sail through the day. Hopefully, I should be able to build up on this confidence to be able to tackle anything that is thrown my way at work.

So I made this cheese cake a day in advance so that in case it flops for any reason, I would have enough time to put together another cake for the d-day. But preparing well ensured I put in sufficient time and energy into it – which basically meant, I was able to give it my best shot. I put this cheesecake in the refrigerator to set overnight and set it did. I arranged the golden slices on top of the cake and inhaled the divine concoction. It was stimulating to say the least.

Recipe for White Chocolate and Cinnamon Infused Orange Cheesecake

Ingredients

For the infused orange slices

Oranges – 4, large

water -2 cups

sugar – 300 gms

cinnamon stick – 1

For the Cheesecake Crust

Digestive biscuits – 180 gm

butter – 75  gm, melted

For the cheese cake

White Chocolate – 400 gm

Cream cheese – 300 gm

Double Cream – 200 ml

Preparation

1. Crush the biscuits with a rolling pin to fine crumbs and add the melted butter and mix well. Tip the mix into a 20 cm lined, loose bottomed cake tin/springform cake tin. Smooth the top of the crumb+butter mix with a spoon and put it in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.

2. Peel and slice or keep the peel on like I did for the oranges and place them in a bowl. Use 3 oranges for this. The last orange has to be grated and the zest kept in a separate bowl.

3. In a saucepan, bring the sugar-water and cinnamon to a boil until slightly thick and syrupy. Pour the syrup over the sliced oranges and the zest (half and half  or to cover both of them completely in their separate bowls) and cover for 30 minutes. You can do this in the morning and keep aside. The flavours will get more time to infuse and the scent of orange and cinnamon will give you a heady feeling. That’s a fantastic feeling to have, trust me.

4. Melt the white chocolate in a microwave and then allow it to cool slightly.

5. Beat the cream cheese and double cream until soft and thick., then stir in the white chocolate. To this add the cinnamon-sugar syrup infused orange zest and mix well. Don’t allow too much of the sugar syrup to fall into the mixture. We have to keep the mixture dense for it to set.

6. Pour this batter on the biscuit base and push it into the fridge to set overnight.

7. Once ready to serve, layer the orange slices on the cheesecake in concentric circles.

The birthday cake was enjoyed by all of us but soon we realized that even a thin slice of this cheesecake goes a long way. It was filling, flavourful and beautiful to look at. So I took Mr. Mohamed Isa’s words to heart – preparing well in advance  by making cheesecake ahead of when it was needed and gauging my audience who was none other than Namit. The birthday boy definitely seemed very happy.

38 Responses to “Being Prepared With a No- Bake White Chocolate, Cinnamon Infused Orange Cheese Cake”

1. tanya1234 March 23, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

luv it
    have to try
    thankx alot sweet

2. Helene (@MasalaHerb) March 23, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Love it that it is a no bake version and that it is orange and cinnamon infused. While reading through your post I thought for one second that your cake was indeed sitting in front of me waiting to be tasted. lol

• Anita Menon March 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

Food really has the power to capture one’s imagination. I feel that so many times when I visit your beautiful blog especially the falooda post

3. Namitha March 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Love no-bake cheesecakes and this is a new flavor combination for me :-) Happy b’day to your dear friend Namit who has a name so similar to mine :D That was so sweet of you to celebrate his b’day

• Anita Menon March 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

:-) I hope you don’t share birthdays too.. Namit and Namitha!!

4. yummychunklet March 23, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

This cheesecake looks simply delicious and stunning! I’ll have to make this for my mother and have it on-hand when she visits.

5. sangeetakhanna March 23, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

I just adore anything with oranges. I was just thinking it must have been an intensely flavored dessert that would make a tiny portion go a long way, that’s when I cam to the lines when you said it. My homemade Orange marmalade would work well too I guess :-)
    Love.

• Anita Menon March 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Whatever you make Sangeeta will taste good only. With Home made marmalade- totally yum idea

6. The Sundress Chef March 24, 2012 at 2:45 am #

Mmmm looks amazing and convenient since it’s no-bake! :)

7. Buls March 24, 2012 at 7:45 am #

Wow… sounds delightful. I already have most of the ingredients at home… may try it this week. What is a springfoam pan? And where can I buy it? Can something else in my kitchen substitute it?
    Don’t worry about work… rememeber how you were a champ at it few years back. Just relax. You are better than you think you are. :)

• Anita Menon March 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Thanks Bulbul. :D

A springform pan has a clip on the side that you can tighten or loosen. This helps to remove the cake without any issues. A cheesecake is normally made in a springform pan as its a bit delicate to bring out and can rupture /tear easily.

8. Namit Bhatia (@namit93) March 24, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Awww… thanks once again for the awesomely delish cake, dinner and such a sweet post. Surely made my day!
    PS: You’ve set the bar much higher for next year ;)

9. Deeps @ Naughty Curry March 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

oh wow, love the presentation… cinnamon infused orange is an amazing idea, adds souch a pretty brightness to the cheese cake

10. Raji March 25, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Love the cake Anita..looks really fresh and pretty with oranges on top. Belated congrats for your new job..hope you have settled well.

11. Cass @foodmyfriend March 26, 2012 at 1:27 am #

Beautifully done Anita. As usual!

12. marie March 26, 2012 at 5:07 am #

I am not a huge cheesecake fan but this sounds utterly delightful! I’ve seen digestive biscuits in the store and thought it such a funny name but they sure are good.

13. La @ FoodSlice March 26, 2012 at 5:45 am #

Awesome cheese cake Anita. You just have to set your mind to something and it will be done. You are being the super woman now, aren’t you? I am so glad to know you are sailing through work. Hope Mimi is adjusting well in school too :-)

14. kankana March 26, 2012 at 9:30 am #

The husband will go crazy over this cake Anita! He loves white chocolate and I love dark and I hardly can bake anything with white chocolate. I am gonna try this recipe .. he is so gonna love it :)

• Anita Menon March 28, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

Thank you Kankana. Glad you like it.

15. Deboshree March 26, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

What a title indeed and what a recipe! Quite a feast in itself this one. :D

16. Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) March 27, 2012 at 6:52 am #

As long as there’s cheesecake, I’m in! Heh. I agree, Anita. That’s quite a title. White chocolate and cinnamon make me go weak in the knees.

17. rasya (@rasya21) March 27, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Hi there.. thanks for dropping by my space.. now i found your lovely space..(remember tavala dosa :D).. my god this cheese cake is to die for !! i hope your friend loved every bit of it.. he is lucky to have such a sweet friend :)

• Anita Menon March 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

thanks so much for dropping by. Love you blog!

18. eat, little bird March 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

This sounds like a delicious cheesecake! I also love no-bake cheesecakes and I’m afraid they are the only ones I can make – I can’t ever seem to make a baked cheesecake work for me. The combination of white chocolate, cinnamon and orange sounds really lovely.

• Anita Menon March 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

Even I am yet to try the baked version of a cheesecake. Never got down to it. It features high on my to-bake priority list

19. ThirtySumting March 27, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

That looks delicious. You are really a superwoman! You adjusted so easily into the working world without giving up any of your passions. Im so proud of u!

20. beena March 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

hey i hve bookmarked this one…It sure looks tempting!! will let u know when i happen to make it… i just hope its soon :)

• Anita Menon March 28, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Do let me know. I am sure it is going to turn out great

21. Sally March 29, 2012 at 6:09 am #

KP is always on at me about how much he likes cheesecakes ….and I hardly ever make them! This looks like a good one to surpise him with.

22. Simply Fahad-istic! (@PharaohKhan) April 6, 2012 at 5:24 am #

OK,so for one,I need to make this sometime!
    “Making this no- bake version of a cheesecake is what I prefer when I am short of time but want to impress too.” I actually wonder why are no-bake cheesecakes a little underrated.To me,they taste delicious!Not that the baked versions are not much good,but nothing in the world can match the creamy,smooth,silky texture of a no-bake cheesecake combined with the crispiness of its biscuit base!The result,you know,is stunning!
    “Be it exams or some presentation at work, I have always prepared well.” That reminded me of my exams at school and made me laugh,LOL.
    Bookmarking/Noting this down!Thank you for sharing!:-)

1. White Chocolate Blue Berry Berry Luscious Raw Nut-Cheesecake. Part one. | Gold Within - June 17, 2012

[...] Being Prepared With a No- Bake White Chocolate, Cinnamon Infused Orange Cheese Cake (sliceofmylyfe.wordpress.com) [...]