Classic “Compensatory” Chocolate Chip Cookies

16 Apr

Chocolate Chip Cookies command three things – you cannot stop at just one and you can never get tired of them and they beg to be made again and again; especially if they are Dorie Greenspan’s best Chocolate Chip cookies ever!!

If you are wondering why I have called them ‘ Compensatory’ then you ought to read this post.

Mimi loves chocolate chip cookies and I have made these many times before but they vanish before I can photograph them. So this time I planned  my baking such that I had some time to photograph before they got devoured.

I clicked a few pictures while they were baking their way to the chocolate spotted golden discs. It is so wonderful to see each scoop of dough spread out into a beautiful cookie. Each one unique and gorgeous in its own unique way. That is the most beautiful part of having home-baked goods.

This recipe is a Dorie Greenspan recipe and like all her recipes they tend to be butter and sugar heavy. Since I have already made these couple of times, I have tweaked the butter and the sugar according to the way we like it. Mimi doesn’t like it if it’s too sweet. She enjoys the dull sweetness from the bits of chocolate scattered intermittently in the cookie. She is my official tester of my cookie dough. If she licks it off the ladle and doesn’t spit it out, it means it really is very, very good.

Recipe for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes about 25-27 large cookies

Ingredients

All Purpose flour – 2 cups

Salt- 1 tsp

Baking soda – 3/4 tsp

Butter – 225 gms but I used 200 gms, which works perfectly well

Caster Sugar – 3/4 cup ( original called for 1 cup)

Light brown sugar – 1/2 cup ( original called for 2/3)

Vanilla essence – 2 tsps

Eggs – 2, large

chocolate chips ( bittersweet) – 2 cups ( I had run out of these and used actual bitter sweet chunks of chocolate)

Toasted walnuts – 1 cup, finely chopped

Preparation

1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375 F/190C/ gas mark 5. Line the baking sheet with a parchment paper

2. Whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda

3. Working with a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed for about 1 minute, until smooth.

4. Add sugars and beat for another 2 minutes or so., until well blended

5. Beat in the vanilla

6. Add eggs one at a time, beating well for a minute or so before adding the other egg and doing the same.

7. Reduce the speed of the stand mixer and add the dry mixture in 3 lots and then add the chocolate and nuts

8. Spoon the dough on the parchment paper keep enough distance between two such scoops so that there is enough space for them to spread out and shine.

9. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time and rotating the sheet at the mid way point for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are brown at the edges and golden at the center. They may be soft in the middle but that is alright. When they cool down they harden sufficiently giving it the right kind of bite.

10. Pull the sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to rest for 1 minute, then carefully using a wide spatula transfer them to a separate plate to cool to room temperature.

So it is as easy as that and still happens to be a favourite with my family. Do try these and  see yourself reaching for your cookie jar every now and then.

24 Responses to “Classic “Compensatory” Chocolate Chip Cookies”

1. Spencer April 17, 2012 at 4:50 am #

They look absolutely delicious! I would love to try some.

2. Buls April 17, 2012 at 6:59 am #

Hi… I am so glad you did this post. I had tried cookies last time but found them too buttery and the dough spread out and it became one whole sheet of cookie. I had no idea that could happen. Will make these again.
    Btw, having your kid spit out dough after spending time and effort making it can be un nerving… but atleast its honest feedback.

• Anita Menon April 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

Do try this recipe. It really is a good one.

3. Deboshree April 17, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Reads so simple, Anita. But I doubt my baking skills. What may be elementary to you will be rocket science to me. How about you agree to give me full time baking lessons some time? :)

• Anita Menon April 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

absolutely. Why not!! It would be my pleasure

4. Cass @foodmyfriend April 17, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Yum Anita :) I have a favourite chocolate chip recipe too. I haven’t made them in way too long!!

• Anita Menon April 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

I’ll wait for a post from you about your favourite cookie recipe

5. Bikramjit Singh Mann April 17, 2012 at 11:20 am #

wow I come bak after 10 days almost to this yummmy recipeeee … :) yum yum yumm

6. Suchismita Mazumdar April 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Ah to dunk this in a cup of coffee and sit the softened bits slowly :-)

• Anita Menon April 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

:-) That is what we have been doing with these cookies. They are mmmm so good

7. Ameena April 17, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

These look divine…I wish I had a stack right now Anita!

8. yummychunklet April 17, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

YUM. Enough said.

9. Deeps @ Naughty Curry April 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

as an official choco chip cookie addict i can only say ‘YUM!’ i love how it is not too thin and spread out, sort of holds its shape. cant wait to try it out

10. La @ FoodSlice April 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

I think chocolate chunks in a cookie are more desirable to little chips. You can eat more chocolate that way :-)
    I too haven’t made these in a long time, had been opting for the supposedly healthier oats and raisin cookies instead. The situation needs changing.

• Anita Menon April 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

No NO. you stick to your oats and raisins only.

11. marie April 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Lila has been asking me to make chocolate chip cookies all week. Usually I make my Father in Laws recipe but how can you go wrong with Dorie? I usually make half the batter as is and then to the last half I throw in nuts, coconut and dried cranberries. I love cookies chock full of stuff.

• Anita Menon April 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

thats sounds so interesting. i think i would modify it like that the next time.

12. Sylvie Shirazi (@gourmandeinthek) April 20, 2012 at 10:43 am #

Chocolate chip cookies are a favorite of mine and unlike other things I never get tired of making them over and over again!

13. thebakerinme May 4, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Anita, I have baked choco chip cookies lot many times….but these one look so decadent and perfect……will definitely give them a try sometime

14. Meenakshi May 12, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

These cookies are a gorgeous gift!! Way beyond compensatory :) Boy do they look good. And chocolate chunks always taste better than chips!!

1. Jimmies and Sprinkles-topped Cookies « To Cook With Love - April 25, 2012

[...] Classic “Compensatory” Chocolate Chip Cookies (sliceofmylyfe.wordpress.com) [...]