Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting ( Birthday Post-1)

5 May

It was my birthday a few days ago and it was wonderful. I can go ahead and claim that it was the best birthday that I would have had in a decade. Unexpected and infinitely fun, this birthday goes down in my birthday history books of records at the very top until ofcourse another more fantabulous one comes along.

Birthdays and me, don’t really have a thing going as long as I remember. I was never the one to look forward to one, more so after I crossed the “30” milestone. Its been a week now that my birthday’s gone, but the good taste and feeling still remains, lingering in the air somewhere. I catch a whiff of it sometime and you can see me smiling for no reason at all. It was that wonderful. You may also know that I enjoy doing a lot of analysis. I have to know why something was good, or bad, or why it happened or what was the best way of going about it etc.

There are few straightforward reasons as to why this birthday was so much more amazing than the other ones:

1. The biggest reason is my parents are in town. How can a birthday be anything less than wonderful when your parents are with you. They lavished all their attention and love on me (for a change) otherwise everybody has eyes and ears only for Mimi.

2. My husband promised to bake a cake for me ( rest of the story follows later in the post)

3.  My daughter, Mimi can say Happy Birthday to you now and can sing it even better

4. I got plenty of gifts which include a much sought after cake stand, a gold ring, shopping vouchers, flowers, delicious home baked  chocolate cakes, a lovely bag and dinner at one of the best restaurants in town. It cannot get any better than this. I profusely thank my husband, Amit, my parents, my friends Namit, Anamika, Ashish, Gayathri and Pooja for making it so memorable.

5. I think the most deciding of all factors was that I was expecting nothing. Zilch.

A few days before my birthday I noticed that people at work brought cakes to office on their birthdays, so I thought that I should join in on that trend and push some of my bakes on my co workers. I turned to one of my least used baking books – Nigella Lawson’s ” How to be a Domestic Goddess” and flipped open to the Chocolate Cherry cupcake recipe. What caught my eye was the morello cherry jam that was used so generously in the recipe. I love the taste of Morello  cherry Jam and instantly knew that it was going to be a great recipe to try. But I didn’t fancy the chocolate ganache frosting and starting thinking of other ideas for frosting the chocolate cherry cupcakes.

Do you see the lovely photo of the cupcakes and the one with has the recipe written in it? Its the work of my friend Namit. He comes up with the most glorious ideas that help make my blog look a whole lot better. All these photographs were shot by him since I had no time to take pictures and was sure that there was no post coming out of this one. But he made sure that not a single bake was missed. Hearty thanks to you Namit.

Now to my story where my hubby promised me that he would bake a cake for my birthday. Well, he must have had a few sleepless nights after he made this promise to me during a rush of emotions. I was quietly enjoying  him getting anxious and uneasy as my birthday approached. For everybody’s information, he can’t cook AT ALL. He can make his tea and instant noodles and his culinary expertise ends there. Finally on the day before my birthday he came home with an envelope and handed it over to me. On opening the envelope I saw shopping vouchers. He apologized about not being able to make a cake for me and instead pleaded me to make do with these shopping vouchers. I stared hard at him for sometime while my brain did some quick analysis and soon came to the conclusion that these shopping vouchers would definitely make a better gift considering the latest collection that I had an eye on at Zara and Mango. I quickly accepted his gift with a lot of gusto! When I think back I realized he bribed me and I accepted it without a thought. That is what 7 years of marriage does to you, I suppose.

Shopping vouchers Vs Hubby baked cake —> Shopping vouchers win hands down!!

Look at the cake stand. Lovely isn’t it?

The cupcakes came out moreish and were appreciated all round. My co workers came back for second or third helpings and I was sold out by the end of the day. I think that is a good indicator to how wonderful these were. You could distinctly taste the fabulous flavour of Morello cherry jam which made it so enchanting. The white chocolate frosting idea was completely mine. I used Lindt white chocolate with sour cream and icing sugar to create a confectionery sort of sweet icing. I wished I had a piping bag, it would have made the frosting even more appealing. The crumb of the cupcake was soft and cake like. I would highly recommend making these on special occasions and guarantee that they would be a huge hit. In case you have some kirsch then it is even better since the flavour of kirsch provides a well rounded smooth cherry flavour.

I have another post lined up which will entail the Party details. Cheers until then!

24 Responses to “Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting ( Birthday Post-1)”

1. Bikramjit Singh Mann May 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

You kept it quiet .. right here’s wishing you a very happy birthday and many happy returnds of the day ..

I always celebrated my b’day when i was home .. dad would invite people

the cup cakes yummmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :)

2. Ameena May 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

My husband can’t even make instant noodles…so I am impressed! Happy Belated Birthday Anita! It looks like you had a fantastic day…

3. Abhinav May 6, 2012 at 3:06 am #

Wow…these cup cakes looks so yummilicious as all other cakes by you…good to see that you had a great time with family, friends and specially parents, being with parents on birthday is really a blessing which we miss now…bribe by hubby and accepting it with some NAKHRAS knowing the fact his cooking skills is best part of it….enjoy, let the fun continue, stay blessed!!!

4. Gayathri May 6, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Glad you had a wonderful birthday!!! These cupcakes look delicious….sad that I couldnt get to taste them..goes on to show how good they were..lucky colleagues..:)

5. Gayathri May 6, 2012 at 9:22 am #

and yes, tat cake stand is making me go green…:)

• Anita Menon May 9, 2012 at 7:16 am #

THe cake stand is available at Tavola… it is a good grab!

6. Buls May 6, 2012 at 11:43 am #

Happy belated b’day… glad you picked the vouchers over the cooking.. :P

7. yummychunklet May 7, 2012 at 12:49 am #

Happy birthday, fellow Taurus!

8. Cass @foodmyfriend May 7, 2012 at 2:38 am #

So glad that you had a great Birthday Anita. Your cupcakes look truly delicious!

9. liannelow May 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Happy belated birthday babe (: These cupcakes look really pretty! (:

10. Deeps @ Naughty Curry May 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

belated bday wishes!! surprise gifts always make everything better… the cake stand looks lovely as do those mouth watering cupcakes. my husband is just the same, the only thing he knows is to make tea! :D

11. Deboshree May 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Awesome cupcakes Anita! Your recipes are such a visual treat that even if it is a complex one, the motivation to try it out doesn’t disappear.
    Oh, happy birthday by the way! :P Glad you had a good one.

12. Gayathri Ramdas Sreekanth May 7, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Sounds like such a perfect bday ! Your parents being there would truly be the icing on the cake ! Cupcakes look gorgeous and cake stand is so wow…U got me thinking to my bday wish list :)

13. Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) May 8, 2012 at 5:18 am #

Happy Birthday, Anita! Hope you have a fantastic year ahead. These cherry cupcakes looks like you’re headed in the right direction.

14. Poonam Modi May 8, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Hey ani, wish you many many happy returns of the day… ofcourse belated one… I am extremely sorry for that… albeit late but still i would surely wish the best for you…May god bless you will lots and pots of success, happiness and everything that you seek in life…

15. marie May 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

I am convinced, they sound fabulous. Is morello jam available everywhere? I’ve never seen it, but then again I’ve never looked.

My husband has never made a baked good in his life. I would much prefer the gift card.

16. eat, little bird May 8, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

Happy Birthday!!! I’m so happy to hear that it was a special day for you, and these cupcakes look delicious! I’ve been eying this recipe in HTBADG for ages and really must try them soon.

17. pooja May 11, 2012 at 2:47 am #

Anita, you are a fabulous cook and I am soon going to go out of superlatives to describe your cooking which is top notch!
    Namit, your pics are really good!
    I haven’t ever had such good stuff ( till I met u!) given to me week on week so generously. Poor Amit, I can just picture him getting all stressed but I might add a smart girl you are! I have seen you in some of those outfits and you look more stunning than ever.
    Love you loads

18. Meenakshi May 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Mango and Zara zindabad! What I love about the Middle East is that you are never too far away from your favourite highstreet brands. The cupcakes look gorgeous. I LOVE Morello cherry jam, by the way! Get it at the imported foods section here, and I used to eat it like dessert at one point. It’s sooo good! Happy birthday again :)

1. Baguette Bread Pudding for Mother’s Day « - May 12, 2012

[...] My dad is extremely fond of baked goodies so I made him an apple cake, raspberry brownies, the chocolate cherry cupcakes, Palmiers ( post on the way), hopefully a cheesecake and some fruit cake before he leaves. My [...]