Mimi’s Graduation Day Performance & Graduation Day Cherry Cupcakes

30 Jun

24th of June was my daughter’s graduation day.

She’s only 2. 5 years old!!

I mean, when I got the note from her class teacher that these tiny tots would have a graduation day celebration, marking their term end  and progress from pre kindergarten to reception (LKG), I was surprised. It is a recent phenomenon where they have graduation day celebration even for these toddlers. Nevertheless, it was an exciting thought which was accentuated by the fact that there was going to be a performance by these kids on some rhymes. This was a day I wasn’t going to miss at any cost. I informed my manager at work that I wouldn’t be available for a certain time slot to attend any meetings on the 24th of June. Mimi had been singing ‘ Incy Wincy Spider’  all the time and I realized this was definitely the song that they were going to perform. I made her practice the song with actions and Mimi was most co-operative. On the d-day, I was pretty confident that Mimi will definitely do well. My only concern was, if she were to spot me in the audience, she would run to me for sure. So I also decided to be somewhere in the back row where she wouldn’t see me.

On the 24th, my husband and I, we made it on time to be a part of this spectacular, memorable baby graduation day event. All the tiny tots were led into the Assembly Hall by their respective class teachers. I could see Mimi looking for us in the crowd, probably because the teacher might have hinted that the Mummies and Papas are going to be around for the performance.

Incy Wincy Spider being performed

The first song performed was ‘Incy Wincy Spider’ with action. It was heartening to see all the tiny hands go up in the air and down in near-unison. The tiny fingers making a spider climb up the water-spout and the rain pouring down. It was a surreal moment and I am sure it was for all the parents who stood there on the verge of shedding a tear or two. I couldn’t believe my child has grown up so much that she understands and comprehends everything so beautifully. Mimi was clearly having a lot of fun with the whole exercise because we could see her jumping about her place while doing her action-song. I also observed all the teachers also beaming with pride to see their class perform so well.

After the song was done,  they started to play ‘Baba Black Sheep’. But Mimi came rushing down to me and sat on one of the empty chairs on the audience’s side of the event. I tried to push her to go back but she wasn’t interested at all. She was content, cheering her classmates and lip syncing with them. ‘Baba Black Sheep’ was followed by ‘Polly put the Kettle on” and an Arab song.  Mimi sat in the audience look at the on going performance as if it was only ‘ Incy Wincy Spider’ that was her mandate. I should have made her practice the other songs as well, then she would have felt the need to stay back with the group to perform the whole thing.

After the Performance, the crowd dispersed and went to their own classes and I followed Mimi to hers to take a few pictures. I congratulated the class teacher and told her it was absolutely phenomenal what they do. To be able to make a set of 2 – 3 years olds stand to together; let alone sing and perform was a feat that would seem impossible. As a parent, I find Mimi to be quite a handful and these kindergarten teachers have to manage 15- 20 such toddlers with different attitudes, cultural backgrounds, languages and natures. Hats off to these teachers, really!!

To mark this awesome occasion, I baked some cherry cupcakes (with mascarpone frosting which isn’t in the photos) which I then took to office and for the Term end party I made Mimi the Oats cookies with chocolates and almonds.

The cherry cupcakes were received well and disappeared in a matter of only 10 minutes. When I told them the reason for celebration, there were congratulations pouring in from everywhere. I was a proud mum. :-)

These cupcakes are only slightly sweet so if you want you add a little more sugar to increase the sweetness. I was planning to frost it, so consciously put little sugar.  The taste of cherries is very prominent and that is what lifts the flavour of these dainty cup cakes.

Mimi’s new term starts in September and in between that she is going to attend a summer camp. For the next 10 odd days she has a vacation and she absolutely hates being at home. Every morning she wakes up and announces that she is going to school. I have to then tell her that she is having her holidays and she doesn’t need to go to school, but she insists that she would go to school tomorrow. So everyday I have to convince her that she needs to stay home and do all the stuff that she did at school. I have bought her loads of colours, colour books and puzzles to keep her busy.

That is all from me for now. Have a fabulously week ahead!

17 Responses to “Mimi’s Graduation Day Performance & Graduation Day Cherry Cupcakes”

1. Vinaykrishnan Vishwanath Menon June 30, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Such a wonderful post! Reminds me of the song, What a wonderful world, by Louis Armstrong… “I hear babies crying, I watch them grow, They’ll learn much more than I’ll ever know… and I think to myself, “What a wonderful world!!” ”

Awesome!!! :) :)

2. liannelow June 30, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Yum! These cherry cupcakes sound absolutely divine! (: heh Love that you used fresh cherries especially it’s in season now! hehe Congrats on Mimi’s graduation! hehe

3. sangeeta khanna June 30, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Mimi looks so cute :-)
    I think after the first performance she thought the audience is having more fun and decided to be a part of this side of the world :-)

Pretty cupcakes and prettier pictures….since the real cupcakes are outta my reach ;-)

4. mydearbakes June 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

This is so lovely, really enjoyed reading this post =)

5. Purvesh Gada June 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

Do u have any videos of the event? Do upload. Such a nice description of such an amazing event. Mimi looks so cute :)

6. Bikramjit Singh Mann June 30, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Brilliant .. yayyyyyyyyyy to incy wincy spider , I also did it in the good old days :)

the cupcakes look deliscious, If only i lived nearby he he he he
    congrats to the littlle one lot of love and big hug to her

7. yummychunklet July 1, 2012 at 2:34 am #

Aw! So cute! And look how happy she is with the muffin!

8. Meenakshi July 1, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Congratulations Mimi! I love that mop of silky hair on her head. It is a pretty wonderful feeling watching your babies grow up- even little things like a new word or understanding a new concept. The cupcakes look sumptuous, I’ll be the mascarpone frosting dressed it up and made it even delicious-er! The cherries are so glossy and beautiful. I need to make something with cherries before the season ends! By the way I love the new recipe cards

9. La @ FoodSlice July 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

You were so right about Mimi rushing for you when she sees you. Even that first pic looks like she is looking right at you and plotting the fastest way to get to you! And those cupcakes look so very tempting.

10. Ameena July 3, 2012 at 12:04 am #

Happy Graduation to a super cute 2.5 year old. I love it. And the cupcakes too!

11. Cass @foodmyfriend July 3, 2012 at 3:28 am #

So cute! How beautiful Anita. What a nice day :) Happy Graduation little Mimi!

12. Kitchen Karma July 4, 2012 at 10:04 am #

What a lovely read….you must be a proud parent…:-) I was like your daughter, I hated it when school used to be closed…of course I was also the most talkative girl around :-) Lovely cupcakes….

13. marie July 6, 2012 at 2:56 am #

Glenn always makes fun of ‘graduations’ for anyone other than high schoolers, but it’s fun so why not celebrate.

I always decrease the sugar in my baked goods too and my family loves them so I am with you on that.

Here’s to keeping Mimi busy for the next 10 days! :)

14. Sublime Palate July 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Congratulations to you and Mimi on the graduation! A proud moment for any parent:) How cute of her to come and sit next to you:) Reminded me of my little niece loves performing but doesn’t wanna perform in front of others hehe:) I wonder what my little one will do.. It’s an amazing experience to see them grow:)

15. Farheen July 26, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

enjoyed reading the post dear !

16. Deboshree August 4, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

This one brings such fabulous memories to mind… ah! Lovely way to celebrate a lovely occasion. Congratulations. :)

17. 9mlbuiphymihart1981 October 28, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

Reblogged this on Aaron Roby Blogs.