My Most Beautiful thing loves Sesame Shortbread Cookies

11 Aug

In a month and a little more my little bundle of joy would be all of three.  This realization hits me and knocks the air out of my lungs. 3 incredible years of intense joy, sparkle and so much learning. She would join kindergarten in September, just before her birthday. These days she has her summer camp going on and each day she is looking forward to go to her camp. They go visit exhibitions, science centers, paint together, play games, sing and dance. Everyday she comes back having learnt a new word, a new rhyme, a new song and a whole new understanding of the little world that’s hers.

All photos courtesy : Namit Bhatia

These days she has come up with this funny way of addressing every body with a title –  “Mr. Mamma, can I have a cookie please?” or “Mr. Papa has gone to office.” It is hilarious!! Mr. Uncle has come home to see us and Mr. Teacher sent home  a note today.

She loves cookies and I sometimes indulge by making some for her at home in the flavours that she likes. She loves simple, uncomplicated flavours with exciting toppings like M&Ms or smarties.  I spotted this easy-peasy shortbread recipe from the BBC GoodFood Magazine that I had to try cause I knew she would love it.

Summers in Bahrain

A few months ago, I had a chance to participate in an online event where I had t write about ‘My Most Beautiful Thing’. Thought it was most appropriate to share it here considering the emotional rollercoaster that I am on these days.

“When I think of ‘My Most Beautiful Thing”, I close my eyes and try to conjure up various images of people, places, moments frozen in time, of situations good and bad, of being successful and of possessions. In my mind, it feels like a reel of a movie moving with a clickity- click sound. The first image is of my daughter, Mimi smiling, then comes the park where Mimi and I chased after each other, of a time when I held her for the first time, of the time when she cried the nights away because she was a colicky baby and of the day I decided to take a break from work to be with Mimi, of the feeling where I have felt that she was all I wanted and she was all mine. There isn’t a single other image that comes into my mind. Mimi dominated every single frame, back to back.

In my opinion, everybody has that moment in life, when their life undergoes an incredible transformation. For me, having Mimi has been that supremely important time in my life where I completely changed as a person and my outlook changed forever. Things that made me fret earlier, make me laugh now. She filled my consciousness with a divine light and unending love. She taught me how to love with a tremendous capacity without asking anything in return. I feel, this is the closest I can ever get to what people call God.

When the world is going crazy around me, I come home to her after a hard day’s work and she runs to me with all the glee on her face. All the stress gets archived automatically in unknown folders in the deepest recesses of my brain. The clouds clear and her sunny smile shines down on me. World’s a beautiful place when Mimi smiles. She even solves problems for me and my hubby. Mimi doesn’t like the sound of an argument and immediately plants herself between my hubby and me, shouting, ” Guys!! Guys!!” . We are forced to stop our bickering and give her our complete attention and looking at her lovely face full of concern makes us laugh. That puts an end to any argument however insinuating it might have had the potential to be.

It is said that something that gives us unsurpassed joy, also becomes the source of immeasurable pain. My heart has been a witness to this innumerable times whenever Mimi was sick or when she had to be even vaccinated. It literally tears my soul apart to see her cry or in pain. All I wish during that time is for all that hurt and tears to come to me and that life’s trials should spare my child.  I realize that in life she would have to weather many storms to see a clear day but for that moment, I would like to weather all those stormy nights for her.

I know she is looking out for me when she seeks me out in my pensive moods. She forces me to dance my blues away with her on the most ridiculous songs playing on the local radio channel. Another wonderful thing we do together is to sing songs aloud like there’s no one around and we watch our favourite animation movies together. That is her way of saying, don’t think too much, just enjoy and be with the moment.

As it is pretty evident, Mimi is my muse, my inspiration, my strength and my weakness, all the same. As the movie reel in my head keeps doing a clickity – click, I still see only Mimi doing what she does, playing, running, jumping around, hugging, painting, going to school, demanding an unfair share of ice cream and spitting out her greens. I am so looking forward to this beautiful journey with you, Mimi. This post only captures a fraction of what I truly feel for you. But whatever little, someday, in the future, when you read this, you would know how much I love you.”

17 Responses to “My Most Beautiful thing loves Sesame Shortbread Cookies”

1. melissa August 11, 2012 at 12:32 am #

Anita this post is so beautiful!
    It captures so well the essence of wat it means t b a mother n how it defines u..for me ur best post by far! Im sure mimi will love it wen she reads it some day!

• Anita Menon August 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

thanks so much Melissa for your lovely comment. Much love

2. Bikramjit Singh Mann August 11, 2012 at 2:04 am #

Awesome. Lots of love to the little one. God bless her. Three years old partyyyyyyuuyuyyyy time..

Many happy returns of the day to her..

• Anita Menon August 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

In some time.. only she will be 3. But I am excited already.. :D

3. yummychunklet August 11, 2012 at 6:11 am #

What beautiful photos of Mimi! And, I like the sprinkling of black sesame seeds on the cookies!

4. TheWhiteRamekins August 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

your Mimi is so cute, you are right only kids can bring a smile on your face after a long day at work. & these cookies look so perfectly shaped

5. Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) August 12, 2012 at 11:09 am #

M&M really makes these divine cookies perfect! Love shortbread and all the buttery goodness that comes with it! :)

6. Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen August 13, 2012 at 5:59 am #

I love the pictures of your little girl! These cookies look super delicious too! :)

7. Simply Fahad-istic! (@PharaohKhan) August 13, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

You know Anita,your post sent me on a journey in my mind – thoughts and memories of the time when I was a child.
    “These days she has her summer camp going on and each day she is looking forward to go to her camp. They go visit exhibitions, science centers, paint together, play games, sing and dance. Everyday she comes back having learnt a new word, a new rhyme, a new song and a whole new understanding of the little world that’s hers.” As kids,we are so innocent,so loving,so much full of life!Then we grow up and go corrupt!Anxiety,jealousy,anger,greed is only a few of them.I believe the learning process is two-sided when with children.Not only do we teach them,they teach us things too,in their own ways.
    I really loved your post,as evident I am sure,wishing Mimi a very Happy Birthday and the best things in life,in years to come!:)
    The cookie recipe is very simple indeed,with barely four ingredients!
    P.S. Thank you for sharing!:-)

8. marie August 14, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

She will read it one day (sooner than you think) and feel loved all over again. Beautiful candid pictures of her just being little.

9. Cass @foodmyfriend August 16, 2012 at 5:20 am #

Beautiful cookies :) I will be making them this week. I do a fundraiser for the local pounds every year and I make lots of cookies as well as cupcakes and cakes. I can’t wait!

10. Kiran August 16, 2012 at 8:29 am #

What a beautiful heart-to-heart conversation about & with your daughter :) Melts my heart!

11. Poonam August 19, 2012 at 6:57 am #

Lovely!!! Oh ani what a beautiful and a wondrous post… I must say it was such a sublime penning devoted to this inseparable and irreplaceable “mother child love”..
    Extremely touching and i just loved reading it….

12. Suchi August 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

I am laughing here reading about your daughter’s antics….Mr Papa and Mrs Mama sound so cute!….as usual loved reading your post….the cookies look so cute….oh I need to thank you for the award….thanks a ton, have not been able to visit my favourite blogs for sometime due to laptop woes….

13. Meenakshi September 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Mimi turns 3 soon! Wow. That means she will be starting regular school too pretty soon! I have been wanting to make shortbread for a while now…and have come across quite a few recipes but yours seems the easiest! I shall give it a whirl.

14. wordcoiner September 12, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Beautiful post…the pictures are worth a million…i wonder how proud Mimi will feel when she grows up and reads this :D