How to Make Splendid Coffee

15 Sep

It was only recently that I wrote a Lame Post about Coffee and Chocolate detailing how much this elixir means to me given the current circumstances which involve a highly stressful job and all the calisthenics I need to perform in order to strike that elusive work life balance. Sometimes it feels very overwhelming and I crave for my peaceful moments I shared with my baby as a stay-at-home mother. But then that is the escapist in me day dreaming. Day dream provides such solace when the day isn’t going the way one expects it to go. I am an escapist by the very definition. Even for a moment or two, if I get a chance to escape from pain or anything remotely unsettling, I would by all means apply to take that route.

Growing up I was never a beverage drinker. No tea or coffee made an appearance any point of the day. I would indulge when friends insisted for company sake. Otherwise, my palate never craved for the arousing aroma of coffee or the scintillating vigour that tea provided to the under nourished souls. Working life saw me avoiding tea and coffee in the same fashion because I didn’t feel the need to submit even under severe peer pressure. Talking of peer pressure, my hubby who is an avid tea drinker couldn’t convert me. But my second innings at work has been quite something. A 3 year gap, I suspect, may have taken a toll on my confidence or may be I am not as carefree and sanguine as I was before. Soon I found myself veering towards coffee and in a matter of 6 months, I am taken (and for good, I think). My day in office starts with a cup of black coffee with sugar and as I mentioned in my coffee post on my step blog,

“This morning as I sat at my desk in office, sipping  black coffee, feeling the warmth of the hot cup in my hands and savouring the strength of its flavour, I literally felt my vision clear and colours around me brighten up. It surprised me how every single swig that I took from my cup, felt like someone tuning my settings like one would for a Television to bring about a sharper, brighter and a clearer picture onscreen. This primeval ability of coffee should be given due credit, I reckon. Not all food has this talent. That was about coffee and what it does to me.

Just another cup of coffee? Not Really!

Coffee has found its way into my life since the time I started working again and have made friends out of colleagues by bonding over cups of hot coffee. Conversation, laughter and instant connections happen over coffee, I have observed. The tantalizing aroma of strong coffee just melts barriers (if any) and provides the much needed soothing of nerves to let the other person in, into your space. It is that magical!”

Being a foodie, naturally I wanted to make myself the best cuppa whenever I felt like, even at home during the weekends. During one such coffee sharing moments with a friend and fellow food blogger, Riddhima, I chanced upon a striking way of making coffee what tasted nothing less than the Barista cappuccino. Enthralled, I watched Riddhima go through the process of mixing a spoonful of coffee, a tsp or more of sugar and few drops of water and beating it into a concoction of creamy coffee coloured lather which was not only pleasing visually but also aromatic. To this she added hot milk and the whole brew came up to the top of the cup, inviting and exciting. I made her repeat the whole process just to understand the intricacies of the process to replicate it on my own. And replicate I did. Not once, or twice but many times. I was happy as a lark, sipping on my elixir even on weekends in the comfort of my home, with a book in my hand and cozy in my couch.

all photos courtesy : Namit Bhatia

This post is a heart felt thank you note to Riddhima who taught me this art of making splendid coffee.

I think most coffee drinkers may know this method of coffee making already but I felt this intense need to share my joy of having learnt something new.

Happy Weekend!!

17 Responses to “How to Make Splendid Coffee”

1. TheWhiteRamekins September 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

i love the way this is made…and tastes lot better than prepared otherwise

2. Priya Sreeram (@priyasreeram) September 15, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

aaha- what a refreshing ode to coffee- I am a coffee addict too and can understand the elixir it is. loved the how to for the frothy finish to the instant coffee cuppa

3. Ankur September 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

Hey… Though I m not a coffee drinker.. I like onldy filter coffee, the typical tam brahm house :-)) or this coffee the way you have prepared.. My dad prepares it like this… made me remember some lovely time with family… Muuuuaaahhhh….

4. Deboshree September 15, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

Super stuff, Anita! Coffee is coffee is coffee. And you explained it just right. :D

5. yummychunklet September 16, 2012 at 3:51 am #

Love how it’s like an art form!

6. Gayathri September 16, 2012 at 8:24 am #

I am trying it today….
    “This morning…………….what it does to me”….Love, love, love the way you write, Anu!!!!!

7. Bikramjit Singh Mann September 16, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

OOOH yesssss.. making coffee is an art .. in office there is only one person who when offers to make coffee i say yes , otherwise I make my own ..

I remeber back home in india I was beating coffee till it turned creamish and we added some rum to it .. tooo :) yummmyyyyyyyyyyyy

8. pooja September 16, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

Oh this is just how my mom made coffee! thank you for reminding me, brought back so many memories!. Anita u keep writing girl! u make everyday life seem like a fairytale. Thank you! love u !

9. Chinnimohan Mohan September 17, 2012 at 10:11 am #

T’was a splendid way to catch up with gossip,protests, complaints, affection..etc etc. with my daughters..!! Made me feel young..still does..!! oh yes..nothing beats filter coffee & I unashamedly declare that no one can brew a cuppa coffee as a ‘maddu’ does..!!:):);)

10. Ameena September 18, 2012 at 5:58 am #

I wish I was a coffee drinker…it would make my social life so much better! But I cannot handle the caffeine. So when we meet up one day? We’ll have to bond over herbal tea. I hope that’s okay. :)

11. Devina Divecha (FooDee) September 18, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Hey! It’s been a while since I’ve been able to catch up on blog posts…work and personal life have been keeping me so busy my Google Reader feeds have been ignored!
    I love the photos in this post, and I’m a coffee (and tea!) lover, so will definitely try out this method soon :)
    Hope all is well with you.

12. Riddhima September 18, 2012 at 10:36 am #

brilliant… loved this post.. not bcoz its my way of making coffee but the way you expressed yourself and the love for coffee… i miss the coffee time :((

13. marie September 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

I don’t drink coffee but I LOVE the smell of it and coffee ice cream is just the best.
    Pero anyone?

14. BeingMama September 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

That looks so good! I might have to make a cup of coffee now but I doubt it will be as good as yours. :)

15. sangeetakhanna November 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Long time I have been on your blog :-)
    I love instant coffee made this way, I remember how in my research time I was the one to made coffee all the time. This was the reason :-)

16. wordcoiner December 3, 2012 at 9:14 am #

Okay I really have to share this. My engg roomie used to make coffee like this and it tastes heavenly. It takes a lot of patience to make but well worth the effort. She is so sweet she always used to make it for me too :) Nostalgia creeping in…I think I’ll make it today….hehe….thanks for the post, I have come to love the way you mix recipes and anecdotes and those alluring photos :)