A very rich fruit cake – Happy Christmas and Happy Holidays

16 Dec

It is still a few days until Christmas, but the nip in the air makes you feel like it is here already. Christmas is a state of mind. It’s about tinsels, gifts, families getting together, mince pies, eggnog and all kinds of indulgences. I believe indulgence is absolutely necessary and special days like Christmas are just for that. My fondest memories of Christmas involve sampling pieces of fruit cake – laden with almonds, walnuts, glaced cherries, candied fruit and raisins.

FC2

FC4

Every year on Christmas we decorate a Christmas tree at home. My daughter waits anxiously for Christmas mornings to see what Santa has got for her this time. This year she has wished for a Ballet dress and shoes because she has been a good girl throughout the year. Let’s see if Santa thinks so too.

Tree2

The fruit cake is seriously quite rich and a small slice really goes a long way. My recipe for this fruit cake was featured in the Decembers Christmas Special issue of the Bahrain Confidential

_Christmas Confidential BC Dec2013 (1)The recipe is as follows:

FC1

The preparation is a bit time consuming with all the chopping of the dried fruits and nuts but the result is absolutely worth it. Since it stays good for 2 months, this indulgent fruit cake can be enjoyed for a very long time.

The spirit of Christmas is very addictive and sometimes I wish we could bottle up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every now and then. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

10 Responses to “A very rich fruit cake – Happy Christmas and Happy Holidays”

1. Bulbul December 16, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Yum, I love X’mas cake. Will definitely try this one

2. Dimple@shivaaydelights December 16, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Lovely recipe! And so festive x

3. Deboshree December 16, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

The baking queen, thy name is Anita. :) How I wish I had your magic fingers.

• Anita Menon December 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Aww thanks Deboshree. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

4. Chai a Cup of Life December 16, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

I have very fond memories of my grandmother and mother making Christmas cake months before the day and storing it in the cupboard. My grandmother used to put money in the cake too and whoever got it was the lucky one! Unfortunately I have never liked the taste of Xmas cake.
    I’m sure Santa will bring your daughter what she wants this year ;-)

• Anita Menon December 19, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Lovely memories Amelia. Thanks for sharing

5. Moya @Food and Tools December 18, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

Love the yearly ritual of Christmas baking which would not be complete without a fruitcake. Happy holidays and hope Santa brings plenty of gifts! :)

6. TheWhiteRamekins December 27, 2013 at 8:18 am #

Happy Holidays! cake looks delish :)

1. 361/365: National Fruit Cake Day | Eat My Words - December 27, 2013

[…] A very rich fruit cake – Happy Christmas and Happy Holidays (sliceofmylyfe.wordpress.com) […]