5 Apr

Some of the best books  grace my book shelf but I have no time to read them. I look at them with guilt and they look back at me with a lot of contempt. They don’t say much, mostly because I don’t give them a chance. I turn away to tend to some of the more ‘urgent’ things that need my attention. My bedside table has some of the lighter reads and some cook books. Nigella’s cookbooks are always at my hand’s reach. I flip through some recipes and read a line of two from the novel who’s name I forget until I close to book to look at the title.

PBC6

I am drifting. Again. This happens when I get too busy in my busyness. I read a post written by Saheli called Floating and I knew I was feeling the exact same thing. What’s reassuring is I know its just a phase and it will pass, so I am not despairing.

PBC5

Initially I used to fight it but it never helped. Now I just drift along only because I know it will end. There are few things I know make me feel better and one of them is baking.  So I baked a chocolate frosted peanut butter cake. It was a friend’s surprise baby shower. I poured myself into it and even before I prepped for the cake, I hadn’t a shred of doubt that it will be wonderful.

PBC3

The pictures are pathetic because they were rushed, but who cares! The cake was fantastic. I didn’t need anybody else to tell me that and I didn’t even have to taste it. I just knew it. There are a few things you should know about the cake before you try it.

- Its barely sweet and that allows the peanut butter taste to shine through.

- It uses no butter. Only oil and the cake is soft as a baby’s bottom.

-The sweetness is from the chocolate frosting which if you avoid, you’d be doing the cake a lot of disservice.

- The recipe has been adapted from here

For the recipe, click on the recipe card below.

PBC1

Before I end this post, there is a video I would like to share here. It is a Ted talk by one of my favourite writers – Elizabeth Gilbert of the Eat, Pray, Love fame. She talks about the creative process and of managing our own expectations that we have from our creative selves. It made a lot of sense to me. I watched it twice and each time it felt like she was talking to me. Here you go.

Happy Weekend!

17 Responses to “A chocolate frosted peanut butter cake and what is to feel trapped in a time capsule”

1. TheWhiteRamekins April 6, 2014 at 4:45 am #

The cake looks wonderful!

2. Saheli April 6, 2014 at 10:25 am #

You have to know that I plan on visiting you solely to gorge on your food. Lovely post as usual. And guess what? Even I have stopped despairing. : )

3. Deena Kakaya April 6, 2014 at 10:57 am #

Funnily enough I used to even get that floating feeling as a child. I get it now when I don’t anchor myself. Everything is a phase though, right?

The cake- oh my goodness. Peanuts and chocolate are a pairing that feels naughtier than it is, because it’s that good! I love that your cake looks light and isn’t sugar loaded. Mmmm x

4. Chai a Cup of Life April 6, 2014 at 11:12 am #

I am quite amazed that you seem to find the time to do everything. You must have good organisational skills and using your time wisely. So I don’t blame you drifting off! You have a lucky friend who gets to eat that yummy cake. I also saw that TED talk by Elizabeth Gilbert and may watch it again.

• Anita Menon April 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

Its a sad state to be in honestly. i cannot be in a space where I am not doing anything. I have to keep doing something or the other cause I cannot fathom being bored. Thanks so much Amelia for you lovely words.

5. Deboshree April 9, 2014 at 8:49 am #

Oh my, oh my. This looks like heaven on a platter. Mind sending me some? :) :P
    How have you been Anita?

6. La @ FoodSlice April 9, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

For a while, its been by choice that i had kept away from ‘busyness’. Now i am afraid it has become habit. Yet i wish i were you when i am always amazed at how well you juggle so many things.
    The cake sounds delish. Reminds me that i have been postponing making peanut butter at home. I had planned it some 4 months ago. Sigh!

• Anita Menon April 11, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Thanks La. I hope you make the peanut butter that you have been planning to. Looking forward to that post of yours.

7. purabinaha April 21, 2014 at 5:17 pm #

Anita, this cake looks great with the chocolate frosting and the raspberry decoration…I am sure it had put a smile on your friend’s face as soon as she saw it! Even I have so many books which I just don’t have any time to read, and I feel bad because I want to read them…but that’s ok. Anyways, your cake does look delicious!
    Warm regards: Cosmopolitan Currymania

• Anita Menon April 26, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

Thank you Purabi for coming over and commenting. Heading over to yours soon.

8. Cass @foodmyfriend April 23, 2014 at 11:57 am #

You’re a domestic goddess. I love this cake Anita. It’s so beautiful. I want one of these pans!

9. B. M. April 25, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

yummmm yummmmmmmm put that on the LIST tooooooooooooooo… yeha you thought i have forgotten .. nope my list keep on growing with all that food you have promised :)

How are you doing… and hellooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Anita Menon April 26, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

so lovely to have you back. I have to go to your post and read it. Soon.

10. Deepa May 3, 2014 at 5:07 pm #

I am a tad floaty now too….I know the feeling. And the books. ….I have a whole pile that I feel like I will never get around to reading. ..strangely that hasn’t stopped me from buying more.
    Just found your blog and really enjoy your writing. Will stick around, if that’s ok.

• Anita Menon May 3, 2014 at 7:26 pm #

lovely to have crossed paths Deepa. Heading over to yours right now!

11. afracooking May 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm #