Care for an oats and nuts bread slice?

20 Jun

Snacking is and has been my biggest vice. More than my principal meals, snacking is what I look forward to more. Hostel and life as a working professional enforced some really bad snacking habits. Fried foods and chocolates became my go to whenever hunger struck in between meals. It took a lot of conscious effort on my part to change those terrible dietary habits. I still crave for snacks but the choice I exercise now is to reach out for healthier options like nuts, fruits and whole foods. In the pursuit of fulfilling my snacking desires and being guilt – free all the same, I am always on the look – out for healthy recipes. Recently, while scavenging the internet for such recipes, I stumbled across this very interesting recipe on David Lebovitz’s blog. It is a gluten-free loaf with the goodness of nuts and seeds.

OB2

OB1

The bread has a dense texture and is slightly gelatinous when you chew on it because of the addition of pysllium seed husks / isabgull which is necessary as a binding agent. Also it is full of fibre which is a great!

The nuts and the oats render each slice extremely nutrient -dense. I feel a big surge of energy while working out in the gym even when I have only one slice of this oats and nut bread.

OB7

OB8

OB4

I love to slather mine with a generous amounts of nut butter and if I am feeling indulgent, I try it with a little dash of honey or agave nectar.

I used maple syrup in the recipe but I am sure addition of any syrup would be just as good. Rolled oats give the loaf a wonderful texture and roasted nuts a very deep flavour.  I feel you can play around with the types of nuts and seeds to give it different flavour.

The recipe is as follows

OB9a (1)

Hope you have a great weekend ahead!

10 Responses to “Care for an oats and nuts bread slice?”

1. Chai a Cup of Life June 21, 2014 at 11:47 am #

It looks filling and satisfying Anita.I’s probably eat this for breakfast! But I have not been baking all that much these days

• Anita Menon June 21, 2014 at 1:17 pm #

It is too hot to bake, I have to say. But it is a wonderful loaf to have for breakfast

• Moya June 21, 2014 at 11:33 pm #

Anita that oats and nut bread looks like it would keep you going for the whole week with all that goodness. Love all the ingredients and it looks fabulous :)

2. yummychunklet June 24, 2014 at 4:18 am #

You can never go wrong with Dave Lebovitz. I love his food!

• Anita Menon June 24, 2014 at 8:43 pm #

Yes I agree. Good to see you back in the blogging world. I missed your posts xx

3. noopur June 24, 2014 at 10:57 am #

Omg….. this is so yummyyyyyyy!!!!

4. Ameena June 29, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

I am not a snacker, funny enough, but this looks delicious! I would love to have it during Ramadan…

5. Aneela Mirchandani July 4, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

I am usually not inclined to like the gluten free stuff but this loaf seems really good. Nice to see Isabgol as an ingredients. It is available in India as a bulk-forming thingie…:)

• Anita Menon July 4, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

Very honestly, I tried this recipe for isabgol :D To see how it all comes together. Plus it is a great energy snack was a bonus