Chocolate Chocolate Cookies and a note about lost things

15 Aug

Tinkerbell is a collector of lost things. With these lost things she made the most useful inventions which helped make the life of the fairies of Neverland better. Mimi and I love Tinkerbell. She is our favourite fairy.

CCC3

When Mimi was younger, she had this incredible talent of finding lost things too. When she was a toddler, she would bound about around the house and find stuff that we would have given up for good. My favourite clip from under the bed, hoards of pens stuck in between the sofa crevices, abandoned restaurant bills which are the only evidence of the good times we had with friends.  Finding them, looking at them creates their own separate memories. That is the beauty of finding lost things. Today Mimi is 4 years old, soon to be 5. She still retrieves her Ammamma’s glasses from wherever she last left them. That is the uncanny ability that children have. We grown ups are hopeless like that. We lose things that then forget that we lost them. That is how I am. What’s gone, its gone forever. New things take the place of lost things. But today, I feel a little different.

Because I lost a poem.

CCC5

I wrote it on a whim with the excitement of a child for having seen a beautiful cookie. That cookie was my muse and it made me write a poem. I never write poems because they are not for me. I read and enjoy poems written by others. But I never write one.

This cookie is special. It forced me think like a poet and express like one. It was actually quite nice, is what my friends and family told me. But no one saved it and neither did I. So I have lost it forever and I can’t seem to recreate it. The cookie is still inspiring and that is why I am sharing it today in this blog post. But the poet in me, is silent. I depend on Mimi to write one and bring it back to me, like she has always done by finding lost things and bringing it back to me. That will make a separate memory.

CCC8

This is the chocolate chocolate recipe that Mimi baked like a dream and it made it into a magazine. The Bahrain Confidential featured me as the blogger of the month. Check out their beautiful, brand new website and their digital edition here. Thank you.. Melissa!

Bloggers Bytes BC August 2014

CCC9

The recipe is simple and uses very few ingredients. It is gluten – free, dairy – free and nut – free though, that was not intentional. I tried it, because I thought it would make for some amazing cookies. It uses enormous about of icing sugar but let that not scare you. The recipe is as follows:

CCC1

Here’s wishing all my Indian readers, a very happy Independence day today! Cheers.

8 Responses to “Chocolate Chocolate Cookies and a note about lost things”

1. Deena Kakaya August 15, 2014 at 11:24 am #

It’s interesting that you say that the poet inside you is silent because when I read this post I feel (as with a fair few of your other sweetly eloquent and soulful posts) that they are actually quiet poetic in themselves. Your words swing and dance between sentiment and evocative image so gently that I keep coming back for more!

I do enjoy reading snippets of experiences with Mimi which reveal the most deep and enduring love, always makes me smile. I’m not surprised that she loves those cookies, they look like one of those that I would want to eat very slowly in order to savour the experience. Huge well done on the accolade of blogger of the month… Well, naturally ;) xx

• Anita Menon August 15, 2014 at 11:30 am #

your comment is so lyrical in quality that I enjoyed reading it twice. Well, that is the reason why I visit your space each time you update. I am so, so glad, we connected and met. Thank you so much Deena. Your lovely comment made my day

2. Bikramjit August 15, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

why do you say that .. and awwwww god bless the little one .. :)

• Anita Menon August 15, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

Thank you Bikramji. Since i have Mimi, I have nothing to worry if I lose things

3. Muna Kenny (@Munatycooking) August 17, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

My son was the reason why things disappeared in the house, and that’s when he was around 4 or 5.
    I’m so curious to read your poem, so when you remember it or find it do share please :)
    Those cookies look so chocolaty and yummy!

• Anita Menon August 17, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

Hahahah😊 that’s cute. I hope I can write that poem again

4. Ameena August 18, 2014 at 11:27 am #

My daughter used to (and still does) collect the most random things…so funny how they do that!

Sorry about the poem friend, but the cookies look DELICIOUS!

5. Hamida August 26, 2014 at 4:52 pm #

Dear Anita Menon:

Being captivated by your foodie quest that shows a tapestry of baked delicacies, stretching from Chocolate Cookies.It wasn’t that easier for us to stay away from trying your Pistachio Savory Cakes!

We would love to take your baked heirloom further! This is an exclusive space for your penmanship, where you can publish your unique culinary outputs in the form of food blogs; that too you’re the one, who’s going to own this space! We would like to pass it on to others by featuring it on our platform!

Sulekha.US would be glad to present your food blog to the Indian communities living abroad. We would love to connect them through one of the most vital channels i.e. food. Featuring your interview would be a perk for our eager Indians, who are waiting for Desi recipes and baked goodies ranging from ‘grand’ to ‘on the go’. On the other hand, it’ll be our pleasure to feature your ‘gastronomic talks’ (interview!) on our home page. Sharing your passion for food might rejuvenate the taste buds and senses of millions of Indians living abroad.

Awaiting your valuable reply!

Bon Appetite!